Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect There are a lot of potential gases that could exist in your home. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that come from household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But none of these gases are as hazardous as carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is potentially a matter of life and death, so it should not be treated lightly. This toxic gas is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can filtrate its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on how big the leak is and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can quickly be fatal, or the gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things. You absolutely cannot risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some steps you can take: If you do not currently have a carbon monoxide detector in your house, call Church Services in Houston to purchase one. Ask our technicians about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, check or replace the batteries regularly. Testing should be done every few months, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or start to have flu-like symptoms, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps you can protect your family from its dangers. Our experts can provide more information, so go ahead and call Church Services in Houston at (713) 396-3760 to learn more.