Preventing it from happening is the most essential step. Completing correct safety precautions will decrease your likelihood of carbon monoxide poisoning in Houston.
Here are several steps you can take to keep your family safe:
- Idle your car outside your garage. Cars are a major source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so do not leave yours on in the restricted space of a garage. The same is true for gas equipment including lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t operate ovens or grills as heaters. These appliances are safe when used right but can make carbon monoxide when run for a long period of time in tight spaces.
- Don’t operate a gas generator indoors, because it creates fumes.
- Have your chimney checked by a professional. This confirms chimneys and vents aren’t clogged and connected appropriately.
- Confirm gas appliances are working accurately, including your furnace. You can ensure efficient, safe comfort by requesting yearly furnace maintenance with Church Services.