Every year over 20,000 people end up in the emergency room because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is produced by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the winter months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep your home safe, Church Services is here with a few tips to safety warm your home.
- Install a CO detector on every floor of your home and change the batteries yearly.
- Keep all likely sources of combustion, such as bedding, paper, or clothing, a distance over three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, be sure to check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended. Turn off space heaters and confirm all embers in the fireplace are completely extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like ceramic tile. Keep kids and animals away from space heaters.
- When investing in a new space heater, purchase a model that powers off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Do not use a oven to heat your home.
- Have all stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and all types of furnaces professionally inspected and cleaned annually.
The ultimate thing you can do for your heating equipment is to be sure it’s not only ready to keep your family warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your furnace tune-up. During your fall tune-up, Church Services will check to be sure your heating system is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 713-396-3760 today and learn how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.