Colder months in Houston are upon us. In fact, the months of October through February have a track record of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances occurring during those months. To understand the safety of your home, schedule an annual furnace service now, before the middle of winter is upon us.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners recognize that their furnace can discharge deadly carbon monoxide gas, but more than half don't do anything to stop it from occurring.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be quite harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be confused for the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that consumes fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the ability to discharge carbon monoxide if the system is not operating as it should be or if it wasn’t installed appropriately.
Your annual furnace service company can help uncover any potential issues. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Ensure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Search for any other suspicious things that may compromise your safety
- Help you identify any additional areas where you may want to think about adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is running at its peak efficiency, helping provide peace-of-mind that you’re in a good spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to remember that many furnace manufacturers might require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the pros at Church Services can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 713-396-3760 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the cooler months.