Spring is enjoyable for many reasons: flowers are blooming, you can open windows for crisp air and your energy bill is generally at its lowest. That’s because you’re not using your furnace or cooling.
But as temperatures begin to increase, so do your energy bills. Here are a couple of ideas for saving energy in Houston and keeping bills lower.
1. Schedule Seasonal AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system a yearly maintenance visit can help it work more efficiently and cut down costs. Replacing your air filter will help keep energy bills less expensive.
If your HVAC equipment has experienced better days, spring is an excellent time to upgrade it. The energy-saving features in newer cooling systems is a big advantage for keeping your utility charges down.
2. Turn Down Your Thermostat
There’s a painless way you can save up to 10% on home comfort charges. Just turn your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Learning how to effectively schedule your thermostat is the best way to cut down on energy bills in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re at home. Consider it this way, the smaller the difference between outdoor temperatures and indoor temperatures, the less expensive your energy bill will be.
- When you’re not at home, set the thermostat to a lot higher temperature or turn it off. You shouldn’t have to cool an empty home.
3. Take Advantage of Other Methods to Cool Your Space
You can take advantage of a couple other approaches to help keep your residence cool:
- Use a ceiling fan—By using a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no loss in comfort. Have your fan spin counterclockwise in the summer, which drives cool air upward. This distributes cool air more evenly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds drawn—Sunlight quickly transforms into heat as it moves through windows. Keep your house cooler by shutting blinds and curtains when you’re not sitting in sunny rooms.
4. Think About Installing a Smart Thermostat
You’ve left home and abruptly realize you failed to turn up the thermostat. Then you worry about it the full day!
Smart thermostats learn your routine and move the temp when you’re out to help you save energy and money. You can also adjust the conditions from anywhere with your phone.
These pro ideas will all help keep summer energy charges low. If you figure out it’s time to upgrade your thermostat or need AC installation, give our team a call at 713-396-3760 or contact us online. We’ll help you figure out the best solution for your space. And like always, all our services are protected by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.